2017 has been a weird one for me. And as my friends, I thought you might enjoy a recap of why. Here’s our 2017 Year in Review:
- Family trip to Sacramento and San Francisco to visit Mr.T’s sister and her family and show the kids the Golden Gate bridge.
- Tried to quit my job.
- Birth father found me online (through a DNA test I took over 5 years ago solely to get medical data as I have very little).
- Diagnosed with Super Colon
- Biological father told 5 half siblings about my existence
- Went to the ceremonial start of the Iditarod downtown
- Met biological father and his wife
- Family trip to Omaha and Dallas to visit my sister and Mr. T’s brother and their families and show kids… the Alamo?
- Potty trained Lui.
- My parents came to visit to see kids and go out to eat yummy food.
- I attempted to change my wardrobe for my new potentially-bloating lifestyle.
- Bike to school day and Bike to work day.
- School got out.
- I took a summer blog break.
- We dropped my kids off with my parents in Portland and flew to Utah for a work trip.
- Met 5 biological half siblings.
- Our Merch by Amazon account was approved.
- Camped on an island with 15 teenage girls from Church. Saw whales.
- My parents got a mission call to Leeds, England to leave in the fall.
- My parents brought the kids back up to us.
- Sold our first shirt on Amazon.
- Family trip to Portland to visit my family
- Combined family trip from Portland to Disneyland with my parents, my sister and her family as a last hurrah before mom and dad leave the country.
- Family trip to Seattle to visit Mr. T’s family.
- School started on August 21st. We missed the eclipse. (Made plans to hit the 2024 eclipse as a family.)
- I started a weight training class at the local university.
- I started blogging again.
- Other than the world flooding and burning, nothing significant happens.
- Approved for Global Entry!
- Work trip (alone) to Minneapolis.
- Parents moved to England for 1.5 years.
- So far, other than our happy schedules, nothing notable to report!
As you can see, it’s been a weird year for me. I started in January mapping out how the entire year was going to go: All the things I was going to accomplish, projects I was going to expand, etc. Then life hit. Luckily for me, the biological drama went as well as it could have. Everyone was very cordial and friendly, no one expected anything, and after I met them all in June, the drama died out quickly (I haven’t really connected with any of them since). The Supercolon diagnosis was helpful but has meant a year of figuring out what it means and how to manage it (or try).
I love planning a full year out, but I’m also proof that life often has other plans. Does that mean I’ve stopped planning a year ahead? Nope! I would not have predicted in December 2016 that this year my plans would involve slowing down Northern Expenditure a bit to ramp up our t-shirt business in 2018. But how exciting is that?!
I’ve learned this year that life is both weird and wonderful.
Everything in 2017 has turned out well, but I certainly look forward to a much less eventful or dramatic 2018. May it be full of exciting projects and awesome travel for all of us!