On Sunday, my razor head broke. That’s right. It broke. The plastic connecting it to the razor broke. And I had been using the same razor for just over one year!
Men’s Razors are Better Than Women’s
Yes. There’s a wage gap and, I believe, a razor gap. They just don’t make them the same for women. I’ve been a men’s razor snob since Gillette accidentally sent me a Mach 3 razor when I turned 18 (I was a male on their marketing list apparently). So, let me tell you, ladies… it’s time to pick yourself up a Men’s razor. That’s step one.
Razor Heads Can be Sharpened
Here’s the real clincher… it doesn’t actually matter how much you spend on a razor or a razor head because I’ve now proven that you can use both for an entire year before having to swap out the head! In my attempts to go frugal, I wanted to pay less to shave. But since–as I mentioned earlier–I am a razor snob, I did not want to spend my time shaving with crappy razors. Those pink plastic cheap razors turn me into a bloody mess the first time I use them and the second time, they just comb my hair.
Then I came across the idea of sharpening a store-bought razor! Brilliant! And I immediately put it to the test. It turns out all you need is a square of old denim. That’s it!
How to Stop Buying Expensive Razors:
- Buy a nice, men’s razor – That’s right – men and women alike… go out and get a nice one (multi-blades, baby!). You can often get the razors for cheap or free (with coupon) since they figure they’ll gouge you on the razor head purchases.
- Find an old piece of denim – It can be any piece of old jeans… but it’s gotta be about the size of a VHS (kicking it old school – DVD size will work if can’t accurately imagine VHS-size).
- Sharpen the blade when it gets dull – Make sure the razor is dry. Then, set your piece of denim over your leg or anything with give (I found doing it on my counter didn’t work as effectively as doing it on top of something a bit squishy – like a pack of travel wipes). Run the razor ten times across the denim one way and then flip the denim 180 degrees and run the razor across it ten more times. Use your fingernail to scrape all the denim fuzz off the razor and you’ve got yourself an awesomely sharp razor again!
- Replace razor head when it breaks – For the first time in a year, I popped on a new razor head! Now the cycle gets to continue for the next year!
- Celebrate how frugal you are – That’s right… this whole post has been a brag about how I just shaved the entire year with one razor! We may be frugal failures… but sometimes we do things right!